The next major system update for Nintendo's Wii U is available now for North American users, delivering faster load times between menus and games, improved system stability and performance. It also "lays the groundwork" for the Wii U Virtual Console and the upcoming Panorama View application.
"Wii U continues to grow and evolve with new features that make it a better experience for everyone," said Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America’s president and COO. "Now owners can navigate to their favorite games and services even faster, or play some of their favorite classic games."
Here's a full breakdown of everything this update includes:
- The time required to start the Wii U console, launch built-in applications, exit software and return to the main menu, jump between applications, and jump between software and Miiverse has been reduced.
- While the Wii U logo is being displayed during the system startup, users can directly transition to the Wii Menu by holding down the B Button on the Wii U GamePad.
- Users can install games and applications from the Nintendo eShop in the background while other software is being used.
- When powering off during a download, Wii U will go into a standby mode, then power off when all downloads and installations are complete.
- Users can transfer and copy data between two USB storage devices in Data Management. This allows users the opportunity to upgrade or replace a current USB storage device that is connected to the Wii U Console.
- Users can control the priority of their downloads when downloading multiple items at once.
- Improved account selection when powering on the system now displays Nintendo Network IDs to clearly distinguish accounts.
- TV screen size output can now be adjusted in the System Settings.
- An Undo/Redo button was added to the Miiverse drawing input screen.
While no specific timeframes for the release of Wii U Virtual Console and Panorama View have revealed, Nintendo says that we should expect to the applications "a short time after the update goes live."